The 72nd Annual Tryon Block House Races, the Historic Steeplechase of the Tryon Riding & Hunt Club, Needs Your Help!
The 72nd running of the Tryon Block House Races is on Saturday, April 14th! Join us for a beautiful day of steeplechase racing on the new “Green Creek” Race Course, located on Hwy. 9 in Columbus, NC.
Volunteers are an essential part of the success of any race day and of pre-race day preparation, set up and planning. Thank you for your willingness to participate in this year’s race. We could not do it without you!
Committees, Leads, and Volunteer Positions:
Parking & Grounds Committee
Volunteer Lead, Terry Lynch
- Pre-Race Hanging signs & banners
- Pre-Race Golf Cart Tour Guide
- Shuttle Cart Drivers
- Race Guide Sales
Volunteer Lead, Mary Pat Monteith
- Annual Contests Judges: Hat, Tailgate, & GTH Pants
- Tent/Area Marshalls: Legend’s Club Tent, Race Tower, TRHC Tent, Volunteer Tent
- Trophies & Awards
- Refreshment Delivery to volunteers
Volunteer HQ / Information
Volunteer Lead, Beverly Bradford
- Volunteer Check in
- Office assistance
Volunteer Lead, Fred Bayley
- Jockey Cart Drivers
- Vendor Coordinators
- Amateur Photographers
- Pre-Race Entertainment: Bugler, PC Veterans Memorial Color Guard, etc.
- Non-race Stable Steward: Green Creek Hounds and Shea Rose Vaulters
PRIOR TO RACE DAY, PLEASE :
- Sign up for a Volunteer Orientation if you haven’t already. All 2018 TIEC volunteers must attend an orientation, sign a waiver, and receive a handbook and a name tag. Click here to signup for an orientation
- Take a tour of the new racecourse – Familiarize yourself with the layout of the venue, noting gates, EMS postings, infield parking areas & hospitality tents based on the maps
- Review your job description – Understand fully what you are being asked to do –what, when, where and for how long. Let us know if you have any questions and/or physical restrictions.
- Print out your parking pass – Check your email – You will receive a link to your parking pass
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO – WHAT TO EXPECT & WHAT TO DO:
- Dress appropriately – Wear slacks or shorts, a white collared shirt, and comfortable, closed-toe shoes that are stable to walk on uneven terrain. All Leads are asked wear a blazer. (All volunteers are encouraged to wear a blazer.)
- Volunteer parking – Area marked on your map – in the infield. Enter through Gate 1 or Gate 2. Please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the start of your role/activity. We expect heavy traffic, so please allow plenty of time to arrive at the venue and park.
- Plan ahead – Gates will close when there is a horse on the racecourse and you will need to arrive/depart while the gates are open.
- Check in at the Volunteer Tent upon arrival – Volunteer tent is adjacent to the parking area; it will be open all day, and there you will pick up:
- Lunch ticket
- Radio and/or golf cart (if specified)
- Bottled drinks and snacks – keep your energy up!
- Lunch – Please see your lunch ticket at the TIEC “diner” in the infield. You may eat your food in the volunteer tent, or wherever you choose. Also, feel free to take a break at any time as long as you get someone to cover your position while you are away.
- Check out – At the end of your shift, return your credentials, radio, and/or golf cart to the Volunteer tent. At that time you will be given a swag bag full of goodies.
Thank you again for your time and your support of the 72nd annual Tryon Block House Races, the historic steeplechase of the Tryon Riding & Hunt Club!
- ALL VOLUNTEERS MUST BE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER
- ALL VOLUNTEERS in NC and SC MUST COMPLETE AN ORIENTATION. Click here to signup.
- Determine the day(s) you want to work. Days are listed on the signup in blue under “Event Days”. Click on the day to see the positions available.
- Select the signup button next to the shift you want to work
- If there is no button, then that means that all slots for that position have been filled
- Any special needs / requests, etc – please use the comments field to convey these – we will do our best to accommodate.
Lodging Information – https://tryon.coth.com/bookings/new-booking
Tryon International Equestrian Center – www.tryon.com